Cover Your Head Knitalong

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fits and starts.

Awright, enough dawdling! I finally cast on and commenced knitting, after some indecision and an unsuccessful bout with the Snuggly Baby Hat patterns in the Summer 2004 issue of Interweave Knits.

I wanted to use the Karabella Breeze Yarn I had left over from my Flower Basket Shawl, so I have somewhat less than a full ball, and was a little skeptical that it would make an adult sized hat. So I thought, I'll knit a baby hat, cool, and I can try the moss lace pattern in this old issue of IK I've got kicking around.

Yeesh. Well, first of all, the chart is for some reason extremely hard to read--the pattern's not particularly memorizable, and you're following the chart in both directions (the lace I've knit up to now at least gives you a break in which you alternate simple knitting or purling for a row, before you have to do the yo's and decreases).

I wrote out the pattern, thinking that it would help, but I kept getting tripped up on row 7--I had one less stitch than I was supposed to. After ripping out about three times (yes, it does take a while for it to sink in that IT'S JUST NOT GOING TO WORK), I decided to scrap the pattern and just do something else. Besides, don't these hats look abnormally wide for a baby's head (excepting the bobble hat)?



I decided to go for broke and start Marnie Maclean's Halley's Comet Hat. I was up late last night watching Shawn of the Dead and getting through quite a bit of the shooting star motif--an enjoyable experience for anyone who knows me. Zombies and lace--good times! This is how far I've gotten:



The yarn I'm using is significantly lighter than what the pattern calls for (it's more like sport weight, and the HC hat looks like it's knit with worsted), so I'm actually using size 6 needles instead of 9, and knitting the L/XL version. I'm starting to doubt that I will indeed have enough yarn to get through an adult sized version, but I'll bet that if I start knitting stockinette for a roll brim when I see my yarn running out, I'll have a cute kid's beret, or something like that.

Whatever happens, I'll be sure to post a picture of the finished product!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

It looks great! Can't wait to see the finished hat.

I agree, the baby hats in the picture look rather wide for a baby's head.

2:12 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, those are beautiful. I've never tried something like that. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

3:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see! I think my next hat is going to have to be a cute lace one.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home