Cover Your Head Knitalong

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Seeing Red


Hi everybody. This is my first KAL! What you see here is a scan of a red watchcap I'm making for my boyfriend. It's pretty "plain vanilla" knitting, but it's what he wants. He liked the hats the guys on Team Zissou wore in the movie The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, so that's what I'm trying to produce. I'm knitting it with Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in cranberry. The pattern's pretty simple: Cast on 96 stitches, knit ribbing for about 3 1/2 inches, then switch to a larger needle and knit stockinette for about 6 inches. Then I'll start the decreases.

I made one like this for myself a couple weeks ago, but added some orange and yellow in a geometric pattern. Hopefully I can post a pic of that one soon. I haven't got a digital camera, so until I get film developed, I can only share scans. Which is pretty easy to do--I just lay the knitting on the scanner and--voila! A fairly detailed "close up" shot.

I also will be making a multicolored hat for his daughter during this KAL. She'll be five at the end of the month. So it's going to have a lot of pink and purple in it!

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

It looks fantastic! How do you like the Wool of the Andes? I've been contemplating a Knit Picks order. :)

8:29 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I would describe Wool of the Andes as being a lot like Cascade 220. It's nice and springy and stitches show up well with it.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Glaistig said...

I think the red Team Zissou hat is classic. Isn't it great when a loved one wants you to knit something for them and you know they'll actually wear/enjoy it?

9:48 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I think Wool of the Andes is a little scratchier than Cascade 220, but it knits well. *And I immediately started thinking about the Zissou hats when I first saw that movie! I thought, "Man, there's GOT to be some folks out there knitting those!" :) Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

About Wool of the Andes--I've found that it's much softer after washing.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home