Cover Your Head Knitalong

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Done, and done.


It's a day for leftovers, I tell ya. I finished the Halley's Comet Hat I was working on from leftover Karabella Breeze, and then cranked out an Umbilical Cord Hat from some leftover Bernat Cotton Tots. Here are my specs:

Pattern: Halley's Comet Hat by Marnie Maclean
Yarn: Karabella Breeze in Pink, less than one skein
Needles: Size 6 dpns, Clover
Mods: I definitely ran out of yarn before I was anywhere near an adult-sized hat, so I decreased 32 stitches over two rows and began k2p2 rib. For a real beret/tam, I think I should have decreased more, but whatever. So now, it's a kid's hat, I guess, but I honestly don't know what size munchkin will fit this hat. The circumference of the brim is 16". Anyone know?

Pattern: Umbilical Cord Hat, from the Stitch & Bitch book
Yarn: Bernat Cotton Tots in Yellow
Needles: Size 7 circular, size 8 dpns
Mods: None. As lots of people on this KAL know, this is a quick and easy knit. I cranked it out over two evenings.

I'll be donating the yellow hat to a worthy cause, but I haven't decided about the comet hat yet. If it fits my three year old niece, then I know what she's getting for Christmas!



Here's a top view of Halley's Comet. Sorry for the, um, distended appearance of the cap, but without an appropriately sized person to model it, I had to resort to the resident teddy bear.

2 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

That Halley's Comet is so beautiful!
--Amanda

2:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

The hats look great! As to the fit, my first Fair Isle hat was 17" and it is really a little too small for John (who is almost 3 and has a pumpkin head, bless his heart). However, being Fair Isle, it doesn't have much stretch. Also, this has not stopped John from being IN LOVE with this hat. He insists on wearing it, often indoors. So go figure!

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home