Cover Your Head Knitalong

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

SnB Devil Hat

I'm a new knitter and this was my first non-square FO. I knitted the Devil Hat from Debbie Stoller's Stitch n Bitch book. I started knitting it the way the pattern called for (from the brim up) but I just couldn't get into the zen of knitting it - I must have frogged the darn thing at least 10 times. Hey, it was my first time using circulars and my first time doing the seed stitch. A neighbor of mine, who is a knitting goddess - she spins her own yarn, showed me how I can knit from the top down. So I reversed the pattern and finished the hat up. I really like how it turned out. By knitting from the top down, I ended up increasing instead of decreasing. I like the way the M1 increases look as opposed to the ssk and k2tog decreases. The other thing that knitting from the top down allowed is the ability to knit continuously - I didn't have to sew the flaps on separately. The only thing I would change would be to use a different BO as the one I used made the brim very tight.

On to the next hat!

1 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Congratulations on your first non-square project! And on working from the top down--it takes guts to change a pattern. :) The hat turned out really cute!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home