Cover Your Head Knitalong

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Same pattern, different tune


Pattern: My bastardized version of the Basic Cable Hat from SnB Nation
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino - ivory
Needles: Sz US8 Clover Bamboo DPNs
Time: Sometime last weekend, finished Saturday night
Mods: Well, I really changed this up. I've knit it four times now, each different. The first attempt was a *bit* too small. For the second attempt I added two cabled sections and one more pattern repeat. It worked out OK, but was a bit too big. The third one I removed one of the cabled sections and added six more rows of ribbing and one pattern repeat. Still a bit too big. So, for this one I went with the same number of cabled sections, but kept the other mods. It seems a bit longer than the third, but is more snug than the second or third.
Thoughts: I love it! I am loath to part with it, and will be checking the drug-dealer scale to see if I have enough yarn left to knit one for myself. It fits great.
I cannot say enough good things about this yarn. I knit three of these hats with this yarn and it seems much sturdier than the Knitpicks I used for mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my Knitpicks yarns, but they just don't seem as sturdy as the Patons. And it's almost just as cheap (especially if you get it at Joann's with a 40% off coupon like I do - then it is as cheap as Knitpicks).

2 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

I'm always a little afraid about designing with cables because I'm never sure how much they'll "pull in". Glad to see you had the stick-to-it-iveness to get one that fits you perfectly! :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger . said...

It's cute! I love it!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home